New Years Resolutions

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hey friends.

I hope you're ready for some real talk. I realize that this is a little late, and for the sake of honesty I'll admit that I actually already wrote and published this post once before feeling compelled to take it down. Why? After I published it, and even when I was writing I had this nagging feeling that my goals were selfish. They didn't glorify God, and they weren't a true reflection of me as his daughter. It's not that they were evil, or even misguided, but even good things can become bad if they are done with the wrong motivations.

 Over break I was reading 2 Timothy 2:22-26:
   
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,  correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. * (emphasis mine)

It made me evaluate how I spend my thoughts, time, and money. How do I act around those who don't follow Christ, how do I think, and how do I treat others? So after prayer and reflection, these are some things that I feel God is putting on my heart. I also just want to say that these are not things that will just happen because I "work on them", but through depending on and trusting in God to change me from within as I obey his word and grow in my relationship with him.

So:

Put others before myself. Real talk: I struggle with selfishness, of thinking of myself and my own benefit before others. I want to focus on how I can serve people more, whether it be in big or small ways.

Be more humble. *face palm* This one is probably going to be the hardest for me...I'm so competitive, even with my poor dad! It also goes hand in hand with my first resolution.

Quit with the gossip. I'm a naturally curious (see: nosy) person, but while I don't consider myself a gossip hound, there's definitely times when I stick my nose into business that has nothing to do with me. Not only is this harmful, but it also doesn't reflect Christ in me to others. It's important for me to learn to be content with keeping my mouth shut and not knowing but also to try and be an example to others, believers or not.



Spend more intentional time with God. I don't believe that the only time we can pray or be in God's presence is during a "quiet time". God is always with us, and in this age of technology we can pray/read the bible at any time and anywhere. That being said, it's also important, especially as a new or maturing believer to spend intentional time in the word, communing with our Father in Heaven. I read my bible and pray everyday, but I rarely take the time to actually soak in what I'm reading and learn what the Holy Spirit wants to teach me. I can always tell the difference when I'm skipping my one on one time with God.


So that's that. While I do have other goals like eating healthier, exercising more, etc, what I wrote above is much more important to me, and so other goals are going to be put as lower priorities.



I would love to hear about your resolutions :)


Until next time, God bless.


E





*From biblegateway.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minions

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |